History of St.
During the spring of 1894, a small group, who were members of St.
Paul’s Cathedral, met in the home of Mrs. Katie Easton on Kenyon
Avenue to discuss the possibility of organizing a mission for black
people. After several meetings, the Venerable George Edwards, then
Archdeacon, met with this group and gave them assistance in the
formation on St. Andrew’s Mission. St. Andrew’s was admitted into
the union with the Convention of the Diocese of Southern Ohio on
February 8, 1895. Under the leadership of the Rt. Rev. Boyd
Vincent, Bishop of Southern Ohio, the Rev. George Alexander McGuire
was called to be the first Minister-in-Charge of St. Andrew’s
Mission, arriving October 11, 1895. The acquisition of a place of
worship was the greatest problem confronting this new venture.
The first home was in the Chapel of the Mason’s Hall at George and
John Streets. The Rev. McGuire tendered his resignation January 30,
1899, for the rectorship of St. Phillips, Richmond, Virginia. As
the months passed, the Rev. George Bundy was appointed
Priest-in-Chare, and a permanent home for the congregation was
secured on the northeast corner of Eighth and Mound Streets. The
Rev. Bundy remained until 1908. On August 1, 1908, the Rev. Roger
C. James became Priest-in-Charge and remained until 1910. In
October 1912, the Rev. Edmund H. Oxley, became the new
Priest-in-Charge and he remained at St. Andrew’s until his
retirement in 1957. Under his leadership, a new church building was
erected and on Whitsunday, 1915, the cornerstone was laid for the
semi-gothic structure accommodating 550 people.
In 1937, St. Andrew’s was admitted into the union with the
Convention of the diocese of Southern Ohio as a parish, and the Rev.
Edmund H. Oxley became its first Rector. In January 1958, the Rev.
St. Julian A. Simpkins became the second Rector of St. Andrew’s. He
came during a period of transition when the church relocated due to
the City’s urban renewal and expressway program.
parish, with Diocesan guidance, purchased the present building from
the Evanston Baptist Church, to which it moved in the fall of 1960.
On October 21, 1963, the building was dedicated to the service of
the parishioners of St. Andrew’s. In June 1964, St. Andrew’s lost
its Rector, who resigned to become Canon for Inner City Work in the
Diocese of Rochester. On December 1, 1964, the Rev. Richard Hicks,
Jr. became the Rector and remained until May 1967, at which time he
resigned to become the Rector of St. Phillips, San, Antonio, Texas.
The Rev. Charles Miller became the re new Rector of St. Andrew’s
Parish on January 1968, and resigned in September 1970 to become a
full-time Chaplain at Bethesda Hospital in Cincinnati, but he
continued to serve as a Supply Priest until January 1973. On
February 1, 1973, the Rev. Wilson H. Willard, Jr. became the fifth
Rector of St. Andrew’s. He served until September 1991, when he was
appointed Canon of Ministry of the Diocese of Southern Ohio. The
Rev. Andrew MacAoidh Jergens was called to be Interim Rector and
served until September 1993.
On December 15, 1993, the Rev. Wendell N. Gibbs, Jr. became the
sixth Rector of St. Andrew’s. In October 1999, the people of the
Diocese of Michigan recognized the dynamic potential of Rev. Gibbs
and elected him to become their tenth bishop. In 1999, the Rev.
Thomas Shaver served as Interim Rector. In 2000, the Rev. Brian A.
Jemmott served as supply priest until 2002 when the Rev. Stephen
Applegate served as Interim Rector. In October 2003, Rev. Applegate
resigned to become Rector of St. Luke’s in Granville, OH. In
October 2003, the Rev. Gerald S. Collins became the seventh Rector
of St. Andrew’s until his resignation in February 2005. Supply
priests served St. Andrew’s until August 2005 when the Rev. Stockton
Wulsin became Interim Rector. In December 2006, Fr. Wulsin became
the eighth Rector of St. Andrew’s and served until September 2010.
Supply priests served St. Andrew’s until July 2011 when Fr. Angelo
Puopolo became Interim Rector.